Oryx Petroleum was founded by AOG in September 2010.
Our creation was inspired by the success of Addax Petroleum, which was founded by AOG in 1994, listed on the Toronto Stock exchange in 2006 and then sold to Sinopec in 2009. At the time of its sale, Addax Petroleum had oil interests in 25 licenses, and produced more than 140,000 bbl/d and more than 500 MMbbl of proven plus probable reserves.
Since our founding in 2010, we have expanded rapidly:
- August 2011 - acquired a 65% participating interest in the Hawler license area, an exploration license that covers 1,643 km2 in the central part of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
- August 2011 - acquired a 45% participating interest (33.75% working interest upon certain events) in the Sindi Amedi license area, an exploration license area that covers 2,358 km2 in the northern part of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
- September 2011 - acquired a 38.67% participating interest in Oil Mining Lease 141 (“OML-141”), an exploration license area that covers 1,295 km2 in the shallow water of the Niger Delta in Nigeria.
- November 2011 - awarded an 85% participating interest (80% working interest upon certain events) in the AGC Shallow license area (“AGC Shallow”), an exploration license area that covers 1,700 km2 in the shallow water offshore Senegal and Guinea Bissau.
- December 2011 - acquired an indirect 37.5% participating interest in a venture that has rights to explore for and develop hydrocarbons in the Wasit province of Iraq. Oryx Petroleum`s indirect participating interest will increase to a 50% participating interest (40% working interest upon certain events). The Wasit province is a large, underexplored province in east central Iraq close to the super-giant East Baghdad field.
- December 2012 - acquired a 20% participating interest in the Haute Mer A license area (“Haute Mer A”), an exploration licence area that covers 488 km2 in the deep water offshore the Republic of Congo ("Congo Brazzaville").
- Pending final approval – award of a 30% participating interest in the Haute Mer B license area (“Haute Mer B”), an exploration license that covers 402 km2 in the deep water offshore Congo (Brazzaville).
- Commenced a drilling program in mid 2012 to realise value in our Hawler license area and in March 2013 announced our first significant discovery at Demir Dagh 2
- May 2013 - Oryx Petroleum completed a C$250 million initial public offering on the Toronto Stock Exchange.